Saturday 9 January 2016

A rant about computers

It's that time to blog again.  11:39 pm.  And I had no idea what tomorrow's blog post would be.

Until now...

My computer had started downloading an update without me agreeing to it.  There was a reason I didn't agree to let it download: my computer isn't working 100%.  It's acting slowly, and I think it might be because I have too much stuff on it.  I bought an external hard drive, and I fully intend to put things from this computer onto the external hard drive, but I haven't done it yet.

I really don't think this computer, at this time, has enough memory to do any updates at all.  It's just too full.

And yet, here it is, asking me nightly if it can update.  And here I am telling it "no", and then it goes and does it anyway.

Who programmed these computers to be so demanding?  Isn't the point of having a computer, a being that is not alive, and has no purpose beyond doing what I want it to, to do just that, do what I want it to do?  Why does it have needs, and wants beyond what I want?  And why does it have the ability to disobey and download updates anyway?

That is bad programming, and it's annoying me right now.

And that's my rant.

No comments:

Post a Comment