Thursday 14 January 2016

Is my dog happy?

As I write this I'm playing with my dog, by pulling a yellow stuffed duck from her mouth occasionally.  When I'm typing, she shakes the duck on her own, and then pushes it into my arm when she's ready to play more.  Every once an a while I have to tell her "no teeth".

Sometimes I wonder if we're the best owners for her.  I don't clip hair as often as I should, and apparently I'm bathing her too often (the vet just told me a few weeks ago), and sometimes her nail get to long.

I want her to be happy, and sometimes when she squeaks when I do her nails, or she looks so mopey when I'm eating and not sharing, I give into her and give he what she wants.

Temple Grandin says to give dogs at least 30 minutes of attention every day, and I think my dog gets way more than that.  I pet her and play with her often throughout the day.  I know she'd love to play fetch or frisbee, but it's too cold outside, and we don't have the space to do it inside.  Maybe they should make indoor playgrounds for dogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment